08 July 2012

The Other Normals by @ned_vizzini (review)

The Other Normals
By Ned Vizzini
To Be Released into the Wild on Sept 25, 2012

Given the chance, fifteen-year-old Peregrine “Perry” Eckert would dedicate every waking moment to Creatures & Caverns, an epic role-playing game rich with magical creatures, spell casting, and deadly weapons. The world of C&C is where he feels most comfortable in his own skin, so when his parents ship him off to summer camp Perry is sure he’s in for the worst summer of his life.
Everything changes, however, when Perry gets to camp and stumbles into the World of the Other Normals. Perry’s new otherworldly friends need his help to save their princess and prevent mass violence. As they embark on their quest together, Perry realizes that his nerdy childhood has uniquely prepared him to be a great warrior in this world, and maybe even a hero.

As soon as I finished Defiance by C.J. Redwine, I pulled this book out of my bag to start on.  I'm so glad I did.  This was so completely different that I was able to switch gears and get me on a different track.  I love switching up the types of books I read.  Where Defiance was such a girl power book, The Other Normals is very much a guy who starts believing in himself book.  YAY for these books.  I love that there are such great books coming out now that we can build confidence in our teens and young adults.

Anyway, I picked this book from the stack at work ages ago because HELLO?! I love Ned Vizzini's books.  I have both Be More Chill and It's Kind of a Funny Story on my shelves back home.  I love the character view points he chooses.  In The Other Normals we are following Perry, a gamer, to summer camp.  After a bad start on the first day, he ends up in the World of Other Normals.  That isn't the actual name, but I can't tell you what the actual name is.  You will have to read the book to find out why!

The Other Normals was full of adventure and a full array of characters.  I loved following Peregrine's line of thinking and at times trying to guess what would happen next.  Even if you haven't played role-play games you will easily get sucked right into the storyline.  Perry is definitely making his own way in this world and even though he starts out having a rough time he ends up far stronger in his decisions by the end.  I know this isn't a series but this could easily be a book that starts out a series.  It ends at a perfect point and while the storyline is resolved there is definitely an opportunity for Peregrine to return to The World of Other Normals and have more adventures.


Find Ned Vizzini on his website or twitter and more info on the book.


***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I was able to get the ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments: