07 July 2012

Defiance by @cjredwine (review)

Defiance (Defiance #1)
By C.J. Redwine
To Be Released into the Wild on Aug 28, 2012



Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

I admit it, I love books that feature strong girl heroines.  In fact one of my top recommended authors is Tamora Pierce.  Pretty much if you want to be inspired and believe in yourself you should read her books.  The same was true with Rachel in Defiance.  From the beginning of this book she is facing one of the hardest times, her father has not returned from a trip and is declared dead by the city Commander.

In this time and place the Commander declares anyone who has not returned in 60 days to their city dead.  The fact that Rachel is virtually on her own and female means that the Commander now opens paperwork (similar to a will) to assign Rachel to whoever her father has chosen to be the Protector. Rachel in her grief and disbelief that her father is not still alive living in the wild somewhere is all the more stunned by who was named by her father to be the Protector.  You will have to read to find out!

Rachel has already been planning an escape of the city, which is tough as the city is heavily guarded and the Commander is a tricky evil man.  Protectors are always to accompany their protected young ladies throughout the city.  Rachel is not able to go out on her own or be without her Protector or another adult male.  Starts to feel a bit limiting I'm sure, to someone who had a wonderful father who trained and taught her in things that most young ladies would not know at 16 years of age in this setting.

This book had me excited and interested all the way through.  It was hard to put down and I look forward to reading the next book in this series.  The ending was perfect and did not leave me hanging as some other series books do.  I truly felt that the place you last see Rachel at was perfect.  I want to know what happens next but I'm not left questioning whether or not she is going to survive or get through the situation she is in.  I only wish I did not have to wait at least another year + to read the next book!


Find C.J. Redwine at her website and on twitter.


***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I was able to get the ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments: