16 June 2012

Under the Never Sky (review) by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky
By Veronica Rossi
Released into the Wild on January 3, 2012

From Goodreads:


'Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.


As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.


The first book in a captivating trilogy, Veronica Rossi’s enthralling debut sweeps you into an unforgettable adventure.'

This is an ARC...shocking I know...that I picked up at work probably back in April? *scratches head*. It's taken me a while to get to it since I knew I wanted to read it but it wasn't at the top of my bookcase. As you may have seen, back in April I read & reviewed Breathe by Sarah Crossan. While at work the other day I was recommending it to a co-worker who had read 'Under the Never Sky' but not Breathe. I had no idea that they had any similarities until my co-worker told me.

So after talking to my co-worker I thought I'd go ahead and read 'Under the Never Sky' so I could talk to my co-worker about them both in better detail. While both books include living in dome like buildings and not having access to the outer world, I'd say the two stories are definitely different enough to be able to read both and not feel like you are reading the same story.

In fact, 'Under the Never Sky' was a difficult novel for me to jump into. I struggled getting through the first 100 pages. I was at page 92 and at that point sent a message to a friend who HAD read the book who told me to keep reading because she really enjoyed the book. The problem I mainly was dealing with was that so much information was pouring out of the story plus it took me a while to realize that the character point of view was that Aria and Peregrine were listed at the top of the beginning of the chapters. I read too fast at times and managed to miss the chapter names. Completely my fault. I had to go back and reconcile that the words were names. There are some stories that you can get right into with just the right amount of information flow. To me, this book felt like it had an overflow spewing at me.

Now, once I was able to get through those first 92 pages, I finally settled in and enjoyed it. At times, I felt like the story was dead on target, a wonderful read (after those first 92 pages of course), and at others I grew frustrated with the strange pieces of information. A few times I felt like I had missed a paragraph of the story when I'd find Aria at a new location, wondering how she wound up there. Or Peregrine finding Aria when she was dumped. Umm....how close are these places anyway? I felt like I needed a map in the front of the book.

I know I may be hard on this book but I felt lost at times. I have heard lots of great reviews about this book but it didn't strike me the same way. This is definitely a dystopian which I adore. I'm hoping that when 'Through the Ever Night' (book 2) and 'Into the Still Blue' (book 3) come out that those flow better without dumping information all over the beginnings of them.

I hope that you read this book and make your own decision about it! I'd love to hear your comments if you have already read it!




***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I was able to get the ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.

No comments: