21 June 2012

Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (review)

Time Between Us
By Tamara Ireland Stone
To Be Released into the Wild on Oct 9, 2012

Can their love stand the test of time? 
Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett’s unique ability to travel through time and space brings him into Anna’s life, and with him, a new world of adventure and possibility.

There are times in the mornings I get up at 6 a.m. for work that I forget to throw a book in my bag.  I have planned for this issue and download e-books onto my iPhone for just such times. This has come in handy more then a handful of times and I'm quite glad I'm always prepared.  At the end of May I logged on to NetGalley to see what some of the upcoming books were and found this 'Time Between Us' by Tamara Ireland Stone.  The title and the cover intrigued me and as I read the description, part of which you see above, I thought it would be a great e-book to read.

On Monday, on my way to work, I once again forgot a book.  I was thinking about what I might have downloaded and remembered I had a book on my phone that I hadn't read yet, so I opened it up and started reading.

The book starts off in October 2011 with Anna finding Bennett in the park skateboarding with friends.  She talks to him and hands him a letter to open later.  We don't find out what is in the letter until nearly the end of the book but this scene intrigued me.  I wanted to know why Anna was seeking Bennett out when it seemed as though Bennett had no idea who she was.  I knew this was going to be an interesting read.

This story truly had me wishing that the bus ride to work was longer because I didn't want to stop reading when my bus stop came.  I loved Anna and her openness to new ideas, and not being too afraid to try new things.  She was an understanding, caring character who came across as highly likable.  Bennett is a bit of a mystery for a good portion of the book.  I wanted to know what secrets he had, and what his motivation was towards being Anna's friend.  This storyline had enough mystery to keep me intrigued and on my toes to keep reading.  

There were great supporting characters, Anna's parents, and her friends Emma and Justin.  I admit I do not always understand the point of view from the supporting characters but in this book I did.  I felt like Emma could have been my friend.  The thoughts Anna had about Justin were realistic and well thought out.  In fact, I'm sure I had those same thoughts when I was in high school as well.  Anna's parents never seemed annoying or out of place.  I could imagine myself as Anna within her family dynamic.  There are books I feel like the parents were afterthoughts and this was not the case here.

Overall, I highly enjoyed this book and will recommend it to friends!  I love that it's a one off and not a series, because in this case I feel like everything I need to know is here and I can picture the future without additional information.  That is not the case in all one off's that I read.  Sometimes I want a few more chapters or an entire book more to cover what may happen. 


Find Tamara Ireland Stone on her webpage, goodreads and twitter.

Disclaimer: I downloaded this book from NetGalley and in exchange for reading it I reviewed it.  I was not compensated in any way for this.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments: