13 June 2012

A Long Way From You by @GwenHeasley (review)

A Long Way From You
By Gwendolyn Heasley
Released into the Wild on June 1, 2012

On to my second and third piles of ARC's from work I have this one which is a June release.  Since it only came out two weeks ago I thought I'd read it first.  I was drawn to the cover and while I had originally read the back, before reading it today I did not re-read the back wanting to be surprised by the storyline.

Here is a bit from Goodreads:

For too long, Kitsy has had to satisfy her dreams of becoming a real artist by giving her friends makeovers before prom. So when her best friend Corrinne's family offers to sponsor her for a summer art course in New York City, Kitsy bids a temporary good-bye to Texas to say hello to the West Village.

Between navigating the subway and the New Yorkers—namely, the Art Boy who has a nice trick of getting under her skin—Kitsy knows that this summer is going to be about a lot more than figure drawing.


You may or may not have read Gwendolyn's debut 'Where I Belong' which is based on Corrrinne's summer of living in Texas.  I had not read that one but that's okay because these books are companion novels and not a series.  I felt like enough information was included that I was not thrown into the middle of a storyline.  So it's a great read for a one off or you could read them in order if you chose to.

While I really enjoyed this story, I do admit that when Kitsy first arrives in NYC, her family and friends back home annoy me with their neediness.  It may just be a lack of empathy towards them but the story gets better from there and it stops being an issue.  

This is a wonderful summer read, first of all, it's all about SUMMER time in NYC.  You can't go wrong with following Kitsy as she makes her way around New York and visits museums, meets new people and has a pretty good experience.  She definitely grows up and puts herself first for the art program she is involved in.  

As someone who loves extra details, there were a few times I wanted to go back and ask what happened with specific items Kitsy had with her, but I fear that is just something in my OCD of stories. I like to know a lot more then necessary at times.  For example, at one point, Kitsy changed clothes at someones apartment, and she apparently did not take the clothes with her.  Later on that would have been helpful, but it bothered me because I don't think she ever got her belongings back.  See....here is my OCD.  I want to know if she did or not.  

Overall this is a really enjoyable read and I recommend others read it as well.  I'm looking forward to Gwendolyn's next book coming out.  I wonder if it will also be a companion novel or if we will be switching to some new characters.  

No comments: