17 June 2012

Cold Kiss & Glass Heart by @AmyGarvey (review)

Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss #1)
By Amy Garvey
Released into the Wild on September 20,  2011

An excerpt from the book's dust jacket:

'Wren must keep Danny a secret, hiding him away, visiting him at night, while her life slowly unravels around her.  Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school, and Wren realizes that somehow, inexplicably, he can sense the powers that lie within her - and he knows what she has done.  And now Gabriel wants to help make things right

But Wren alone has to undo what she has wrought - even if it means breaking her heart all over again.'

On Friday, I was heading to work so I grabbed a new ARC to read on the bus.  The ARC was 'Glass Heart' which is the second book in the Cold Kiss series.  As I sat down, I glanced at the back of the book and noticed at the top the following, 'Family Secrets, Dark Magic, and Fragile Hope collide in the Incandescent Sequel to Cold Kiss.'  Oh crap I thought, I did not realize this was a sequel and I do not have the first one.  So after work, I bought 'Cold Kiss' and started reading it.  I read it on the train to downtown and then went to the waterfront park and hung out for a couple hours reading, until finally coming home for dinner and ended up finishing it on the train back.  

Because I had not read the dust jacket on 'Cold Kiss' I was not sure what to expect.  I only knew the premise for 'Glass Heart'.  Starting out, I really enjoyed the prologue.  I loved being included in the moment Danny and Wren met.  

The story itself which drew me in.  As though I were reading a mystery, I was along for the ride, trying to figure out why Danny was hiding out in an attic and didn't attend school.  Why Wren feels guilt and why precisely she seems to be sneaking around.  

I admit that in this case, I loved not knowing the premise of the story.  Sometimes I think knowing the premise can be the same as seeing a movie preview that gives away the whole storyline.  In fact, if you read my excerpt above, it is the one part that doesn't give much away.  I chose it specifically because if you haven't read this story I want you to jump in and not read any other information about it.  

I loved this story.  While there were a few times where I thought Wren was a bit extreme in her emotions I connected with her.  Her family, her friends and all those that we meet along the way in this story give you reasons to love or hate them.  That's what a good story does.  Gives you enough to get to know people and make your own judgement about them.  

Glass Heart (Cold Kiss #2)
By Amy Garvey
To be Released into the Wild on September 18, 2012

Wren is finally growing and moving past the struggles she faced in Cold Kiss.  Well, some of them.  She's in a better relationship with her friends and is making new ones.  Are the new friends the best choice?  Well, that remains to be seen.  Her family is changing, Wren's sister Robin is a teenager now and going through tough hormonal changes while not doing a great job of getting a hold on her new abilities.  

There are so many things to say about this book.  At times I wanted to smack people and at others I wanted to swoop in and protect them.  Clearly, reading these two books two days in a row was a good idea.  I still felt immersed in the story.  I love reading a series this way.  It is so easy to jump in and remember what just happened.  I'd definitely recommend reading a series at once or re-reading the first book when the second book comes out, etc.  I have found myself re-reading several books this year after the next book in the series came out.  

I'm not sharing much because this book isn't out yet but suffice it to say I was invested in this story and these characters.  I am definitely recommending these books so when September rolls around make sure you pick up 'Glass Heart' and have a couple hours in your schedule to sit and read it.  

Great job by Amy Garvey for writing these books.  I will definitely be looking up her other books!


***Disclaimer- I bought Cold Kiss but picked up the ARC of Glass Heart from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.

No comments: