20 May 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (review)



The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight 
By Jennifer E. Smith
Released in the Wild: January 2012

From Goodreads:

"Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan’s life. She’s stuck at JFK, late to her father’s second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley’s never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport’s cramped waiting area."

I saw this book around at the library and reviewed on several blogs. I wasn't sure it was something I'd enjoy until I saw the ARC of it at work. That's right this is number 9 of 10 ARC's from my first pile. I'm not moving through these as quickly as I should be, but I keep finding library books to read that are almost due. This should actually be book 10 but I'm struggling to get through 'Girl Meets Boy' which is a collection of short stories told from both points of view.

This is a cute book. It's a contemporary that starts out in an airport terminal. Hadley is the main character and she is struggling with family issues as she proceeds through the story. While the book is taking place in a 24 hour period, you learn about Hadley's past throughout the book.

I think my favorite point in the book is totally a spoiler, haha, but they find themselves outside and the 'perfect boy' shows up and it completely surprises Hadley. What happens makes me so happy. Truly the ending was the best part. I don't say that about every book I read. So many books annoy me or leave me wanting more of an explanation or details, but this was perfect. So kudos to Jennifer for writing an ending I loved!

I should probably tell you about the rest of the book now that you are excited for the ending right? Okay, here goes....Once upon a time there was a very unhappy teen who was struggling with how to deal with her parents separating, her dad living in a foreign country, and a whole day of running late. We all have days of running late, where it seems like everything is going against us. Sometimes we don't care because we are unhappy, as Hadley is here, and sometimes it's quite annoying.

Jennifer does a great job really making this a relationship story and not a story that gives us ideas that finding a guy or girl is quickly accomplished.  You truly learn about both characters and find yourself rooting for things to work out perfectly.  

I admit too, after reading this book I immediately checked out 'The Comeback Season' by Jennifer and read it immediately.  Another amazing book.  Any author who I enjoy enough to run out and find other books they have written is definitely a thumbs up in my book.  So get out there and find BOTH books.  haha I'm sure you will not regret it!


***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I got it as an ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.

No comments: