10 May 2012

The Springsweet (review)

The Springsweet (Vespertine #2)
By Saundra Mitchell
Released in the Wild: April 2012


This is the eighth of ten ARC's (first batch) that I am reviewing.  I am still reading the seventh book, but as it's a collection of two sided stories I decided to take a full book with me today while I was out getting my driver's license so that I would not run out of something to read.

Anyway, the premise of this story is below (borrowed from Goodreads):

'Heartbroken over the tragic death of her fiancé, seventeen-year-old Zora Stewart leaves Baltimore for the frontier town of West Glory, Oklahoma, to help her young widowed aunt keep her homestead going. There she discovers that she possesses the astonishing ability to sense water under the parched earth.'

The beginning of this story drew me in right away, a young woman embroiled in grief, so much so that she is uncaring of things going on around her with her family and friends. A friend drags her along to a dance, in order to announce Zora's coming out of her year of mourning. Zora ends up wandering off and thanks to another character has put herself in a state of disgrace. This leads her to happily moving away in order to experience life again.

On her journey west, something happens, and it gives Zora a feeling of being alive. She meets a few people and makes decisions that are seemingly hasty to her Aunt who is only a few years older then herself. There are men decisions, how to deal with family issues, and trying to find herself again all raveled into this story.

Frankly, the story ended too soon for me and I would have loved for it to go on. I want to find out what she does next and I'm wondering if that will be revealed in the 3rd Vespertine story even though all 3 Vespertine stories are about different people.

So yes, I recommend this story. It sure did make today go a bit easier and faster with riding around and waiting to take my test at the DMV. Look for this book as well as the others in the Vespertine series in your local bookstore.



***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I got it as an ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.

No comments: