07 May 2012

My Life in Black & White (review)

My Life in Black & White by Natasha Friend
Due out June 2012

On the inside of this ARC was a small blurb about the story, it's what drew me in.  I've been reading a lot of Dystopian books lately and wanted to read a contemporary.  Here's part of the blurb:

"Lexi and Taylor have been best friends since kindergarten.  Lexi is beautiful and Taylor is fun; they are the perfect duo.  But everything changes the night Lexi's face goes through the windshield of the car Taylor's brother is driving.  Now Lexi not only has to recover from her injuries but she also must come to terms with what happened and what she saw - right before the accident."

Wow right?  I wanted to find out what brought on the accident, and what Lexi saw.  I love mysteries like this and I ended up reading this book all in one sitting, which resulted in staying up half the night, but it was well worth it.  As you may know I am working my way through several stacks of ARC's I've been bringing home from work.  This is the 6th book of 10 books from the first stack of ARC's.***

This book starts out with a bit of a back story about Lexi growing up and a small glimpse of her life before the last two sentences of the first chapter hurtle you into her current time frame.  This is what drew me in and made it clear I would not be putting the book down and going to bed at a normal time.  Nope, I must stay up and read the whole thing.

The main characters in this story are Lexi, her sister Ruthie, who is a strong character in her own right, their mother, who I admit  annoys me at times and I seriously want to have words with her, the dad, who I love, probably because he reminds me of my own dad, and Taylor, the best friend.....whom at times I want to punch but she pulls you into the story.  That's not to say there aren't some other excellent characters in this story, unexpected people who pop up and add so much to the storyline,  helping Lexi to redeem herself, but I want you to be surprised and see for yourselves what happens.

I think Lexi is somewhat selfish, but as a teenager, most of us are/were at that age.  Her sister, Ruthie, helps point it out to her, and you see Lexi see herself from that perspective.  If Natasha was going to write a companion book, I would love to read Ruthie's view.  More than that, I'd love to read a companion from  Theo's view.  You will meet an amazing character in this book named Theo.  There is a whole storyline around Theo that I think could be expanded.

As in my other reviews, I don't want to give a lot away.  I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and ended up looking up Natasha's other books on Goodreads to see what she had written.  It was funny to me that I knew of her other books, from working for so long at bookstores, but had not read them.  So I'm adding them to my library list to check out.


***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I got it as an ARC of it from the bookstore I work at.  I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it. 

2 comments:

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Wow, disfigurement and what did she see went she went through the windshield? I am super curious to know! Sounds like an exciting mystery. Thanks for the recommendation, Mel.

Mel said...

Heidi- haha No problem. It really is a great story and I want everyone to read it to see what happened!