25 May 2012

Girl Meets Boy (review)

Girl Meets Boy
Edited by Kelly Milner Halls
Released in the Wild: January 2012

From Goodreads:
'What do guys and girls really think? Twelve of the most dynamic and engaging YA authors writing today team up for this one-of-a-kind collection of "he said/she said" stories-he tells it from the guy's point of view, she tells it from the girl's. These are stories of love and heartbreak. '

As it says there are 12 different authors featured in this book, writing one side of a two sided story to create 6 full stories.  The authors featured here are: James Howe and Ellen Wittlinger, Chris Crutcher and Kelly Milner Halls, Terry Davis and Rebecca Fjelland Davis, Rita Williams-Garcia and Terry Trueman, Joseph Bruchac and Cynthia Leitich Smith, Sara Ryan and Randy Powell.  Some of these authors I was familiar with so I was even more excited to see how the book would work out.

I admit I read through five and a half of the stories.  This was a hard book for me to read because I'd get drawn into a character and then be cut off to read the other side of the story.  I think part of my problem is that I don't really enjoy short stories.  I love long stories that build characters and plot lines and all that goes along with that.  I put this book down one night and it's been a couple weeks.  I finally realized I had lost interest in it but wanted to at least review it.  

The stories are interesting and I believe that with how short they are they are still well developed.  It truly did feel as though I was getting both sides of the same story.  The details were worked out well between the two authors of each story.  I do recommend this book if you enjoy short stories.  

The stories are true to teen life and the myriad of complications faced in life.  Everything from having a strict religious background and dating someone from a different background to a sister trying to find escape from tough family life and inevitably finding a date for her gay brother.  I hope that you will try out this book if you love to read two sides of a story or enjoy short stories.  This is the perfect book for both those things.  Let me know what you think in the comments.

That's right this is number 10 of 10 ARC's from my first pile.  In reality, this was book 8 in the order that I read the books in, which was alphabetical by author or editor.  So now that I'm done with the first ten I may be reorganizing the rest of the ARC's brought home the past few times into date order.

***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I got it as an ARC of it from the bookstore I work at. I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it.

No comments: