06 April 2012

Dash & Lily's Book of Dare's (review)

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
This actually came out Oct 2010*

This is the second book out of the 10 ARC's that I am borrowing from the bookstore I work at.  Although I went to see a movie today, I still had plenty of time to read 'The Lifeguard' as well as 'Dash & Lily'.

You may remember a movie called "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist".  Many of you have probably seen the movie.  Did you know it was actually a book?  That's right it was written by Rachel and David who have written three boy/girl book together.  I read "Nick and Norah" last year and then watched the movie version of it.  That book is the reason I was eager to try this book out.  I knew it would be a fun adventure.  

I just want to go on record here and say movies based on books irritate me since normally they are 'based' on a book but do not include the best parts of the storyline.  Can you guess how "Nick and Norah" the movie went down in my book?  Yeah...not so good.  If you have seen that movie I implore you to run out and buy/borrow the book.  Erase everything about the movie from your mind and read the book.  The book is A-MA-ZING!  The movie...ehh.  

Sorry, slight drama about movies there.  'Dash & Lily' is a great book and has a similar feel to the book version of 'Nick and Norah'.  I say that because the two main characters are written by two different people and it adds value to their personalities and views.  

The storyline was interesting and kept moving along.  I read this in a couple hours because I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen?  Was Dash going to get the red notebook back to Lily?  Where would Lily send Dash next to leave the notebook?  Along the way you meet quite a bit of Lily's family.  They are everywhere.  They work at the bookstore, the museum, and various other places.  You also see how even though they have completely different families they are both in the same place of loneliness and looking for more to fill their lives.

After finishing this story I realized Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a third book together called "Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List".  Yup another boy/girl book.  I looked up the storyline for it and it is set in the college years for the characters.  After the first two books being set in older high school time periods I'm excited to check it out.  In fact, I've already put a hold on it at the library tonight.


*So clearly I'm unsure why my store has this ARC but I really wanted to read it anyway

***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I was able to borrow the ARC of it from the bookstore I work at.  
I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it. 

No comments: