22 April 2012

Breathe (review)

Breathe (Breathe #1) by Sarah Crossan
Due out Oct 2012

The description on the back cover of this ARC, the fifth of 10* I brought home to read, is what really drew me in to wanting to read this story as soon as possible.  Today in Portland it's so beautiful out that I sat outside and read the entire book in about 3 hours.  I love sunny weather.

Here's the back cover description:

'Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe...
The World is dead.

A glass dome houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered.  A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air.  Now Alina, Quinn, and Bea are leaving the dome, walking straight into the heart of danger.  They had sonly two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks. What will happen on the third day?'

Clearly, you have figured out that this is another dystopian novel I'm reviewing.  I LOVE dystopian novels.  They really get you thinking about how lucky we are to live in our current world, and also what we would do to be free in the world proposed to us in the story we are reading.  

Have you imagined yourself having to use a breathing tank to get around.  Not relying on fresh air?  How crazy would that be?  It would be similar to living in the world of 'The Water Wars' by Cameron Stracher, which is another dystopian I'd highly recommend.  

This novel was a highly enjoyable read for me.  The characters were interesting to follow as the chapters took turns between the three main characters points of view.  Sometimes it's hard to follow different POV's but in this book it added to the storyline.  There is a struggle with love, friendship, parents, and what choices to make.  You really learn the character of Bea throughout this book as she finds a real strength in herself that she didn't know she had before.  

I will be recommending this book when it is published.  I really hope Sarah Crossan comes through Portland on her book tour later this year so we can all meet her and hear what may be coming in the sequel!

* I just realized I brought home 10 originally and this one was missed when I posted my IMM that week!


***Disclaimer- I did not buy this book, I was able to borrow the ARC of it from the bookstore I work at.  I am not being compensated nor was I asked to write about it. 

2 comments:

Candace said...

I love dystopians for the same reason. I haven't heard much about this one but you have me eager to read it!
The sunny days sure were nice, weren't they? I spent them gardening though and wasn't able to read much. Oh yes, I did read The Immortal Rules. It was EPIC! Since you enjoy dystopians I think you'd like it if you haven't read it yet.

Candace said...

I love dystopians for the same reason. I haven't heard much about this one but you have me eager to read it!
The sunny days sure were nice, weren't they? I spent them gardening though and wasn't able to read much. Oh yes, I did read The Immortal Rules. It was EPIC! Since you enjoy dystopians I think you'd like it if you haven't read it yet.