06 September 2011

Learning from Twitter

There's a saying, 'Every Day I Learn Something New'.  This seems to be a theme in my life, especially at work.  Since I work at an electronics store there is always something new to learn.  Most of the time I am learning from my co-workers when I help out in other departments.  Sometimes I learn from websites such as Engadget, Gizmodo and IGN.

Photo from http://sleepearmuffs.com/

So last night as I was watching Hell's Kitchen and checking on twitter I was interested when I saw the following tweets:


And:


I went on to have a twitter conversation with Kiala and saw a few others on twitter commenting on their experiences.  A huge weight lifted, I no longer felt as though I were the only one with a sensitivity to sounds.  This led me to asking Kiala a few questions about her experience with Misophonia.

So last night you started tweeting about how you have Misophonia.  How did you come across the NY Times article that gave you a name to what has been bothering you?'Someone in my twitter feed tweeted the article. This is also how I learned theoretical physics and abstract calculus. (lies)'

What are some of the sounds you find annoying?  How have you tried dealing with them?  Feel free to include stories about what hasn't worked for you as well.
'Chewing, lip smacking, burping, coughing, gum chewing, snoring. I wear ear plugs at night but they don't always drown out my husband's snoring so I usually take a melatonin type supplement to help me fall asleep.'
Before you found out about Misophonia, did you know anyone else that had the same problem?  If so, had you ever discussed how you hear high pitch better than low pitch sound?
'I honestly thought I was just super sensitive and even though I knew it was hurtful and rude to point out another person's body noises (when I'm sure I make my own fair share of) I couldn't stop it because ugh...so annoying. And I'd never really thought about what pitches I  had an easier time hearing (high ones) but it could have something to do with it although from everything I've read misophonia has more to do with my social anxiety than anything else.'

I've often had family and friends tell me to get help or to 'stop being so sensitive'.  Now that you know there is a name for what you've been feeling, what do you think you will tell those same family and friends?
'It's nice to put a name to something I've always dealt with but I doubt very much telling my family and friends what it is that makes me give them the death glare every time they eat a french fry is going to make them feel any better about it. Unfortunately.'

If you were to give advice about the best coping method(s) that work for you to others who deal with Misophonia what would you tell them?
'Exercise helps. Just feeling more relaxed helps as does watching tv or a movie while you eat. I also always have a glass of wine or one cocktail in the evening before/during dinner. It stops me from throwing my food at my husband every time he takes a bite of food.'


Check out the article at NY Times.  I was so excited to finally have and learn the name for how I feel when sounds annoy me.  Sounds such as snoring, the dogs cleaning themselves, other's chewing their food, etc.  I then went over to Wikipedia for their definition for Misophonia:

 Misophonia, literally “hatred of sound”, is a form of decreased sound tolerance.

It is believed to result from abnormally strong connections between the autonomic and limbic systems in the brain, rather than over-activity in the auditory system. The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff.[1]

Unlike hyperacusis, misophonia is specific for certain sounds. Little is known about the anatomical location of the physiological abnormality that causes such symptoms but it is most likely high central nervous system structures.[2]

Wikipedia even mentions the symptoms and how most people deal with it.

One of the ways I deal with Misophonia is to use a fan in my room to block snoring and turned up the air conditioning in hotel rooms for constant noise.  I have never tried sleeping pills but Kiala recommended a herbal one that I am going to try for when I am staying with others.  This would have been a good idea a few weeks ago when I was out of town for a bachelorette party where I stayed in a hotel suite with a bunch of girls I didn't know. 

Mostly I am happy to finally have a name for something that has been bothering me for many years.  Did you learn something new here?  Or maybe you feel this is something that resonates with you.  I'd love to hear from you so leave a comment below :)


No comments: