29 June 2009

Mini Vacations

I love mini-vacations for the fact that you can go a few hours away and have a great time exploring a city you visit all the time and still see and discover new things!

This past week I went to Chicago twice...

24 & 25 June - Sarah & I drove up to Geneva and got the train to downtown Chicago. We found the hotel and walked to PF Changs for dinner then back over to the Cadillac Theatre for Mary Poppins which was excellent!! I didn't realise it was based on the book so now i need to get a hold of those and read them. We also went to the Museum of Science and Industry. We paid for the audio tour headsets and saw actual pieces of furniture, clothing from the Harry Potter movies. It was awesome. We also went through the Smart Home and learned about ways we can build and renovate to use green materials to the best of our advantadges :) Plus we learned Chicago is the top city (in the US?) for garden rooftops. Mayor Daly is a big advocate of this and City Hall was the first building to have it in Chicago :) We also went to Millenium Park on our visit and I took a bunch of photos. To see them visit my flickr page.

26th June - I worked...and unpacked/repacked

27 & 28th June - Mom & I went back to Chicago. This time for the Taste of Chicago, where you can buy tickets and try all sorts of samples of different foods. We went to PF Changs for dinner again and then went to see Topol in Fiddler on the Roof. Amazing show once again :) We also walked around Millenium Park and through the gardens there. (once again pictures on flickr)

I came back last night and worked at the bookstore and today I've been packing for another trip...this time to Mississippi. If I didn't work tonight at the electronics store I would already be on my way. I'm leaving tomorrow morning and boy is there a lot to pack up to take with me! I'm going to see my brother, his wife and their new son Oliver :)

2 comments:

Michele said...

I so love Chicago. It's great that you live close enough to take short trips there. I used to work at at least one tradeshow per year in Chicago and it was so much fun. Glad you guys had a blast.

Sonny Amou said...

What Michele said. The brutal winters notwithstanding, best big city in America, down to earth people, and great blues music for miles.

SA